Grandmaster Phil Little is an Isshinryu Ju-Dan and a founder of the United States Isshinryu Karate Association (U.S.I.K.A.), Little is also an active board-member of the World Head of Family Sokeship Council (WHFSC), an international accredition council that aknowledges martial-arts grandmasters of established and emerging disiplines.
Hanshi Little studied under the sokeship of Harold G. Long where he earned his 10th degree Dan in 1998. Grandmaster Little succeeded Grandmaster Long and Isshinryu founder, Tatsuo Shimabuku, as a preeminent advocate of Isshinryu Karate. Hanshi Little chose to retain his 9th degree status, in defference to Shimabuku disciple, Grandmaster Don Nagle until after his passing. Little fulfilled Grandmaster Long’s desire to complete the formation of the United States Isshinryu Karate Association™ in 1998.
The four time International Karate Champion is a multple Hall of Fame honoree, serves on numerous martial arts organizational boards, and was appointed as the Southeast Regional Director of the United States Police Defensive Tactics Association in 2005.
- 1st generation and Hanshi to Grandmaster Harold G. Long, Ju-Dan, Pioneer, Isshinryu Karate
- Inheritor of the Harold G. Long lineage, Shimabuku-Long Isshinryu® and promotion to 10th Dan awarded by Grandmaster Harold G. Long personally, along with a letter of authenticity signed and witnessed in thepresence of his family.
- President and Founder, United States Isshinryu Karate Association
- Founder of Isshinryu Tactical Solutions / Instinctive Tactical Solutions (I.T.S.)®
- 4 time International Karate Champion
- Co-author of Okinawan Weapons and Bo Fighting Techniques with Grandmaster Harold G. Long
- Co-author of Okinawan Weapons, Sai and Tonfa Fighting Techniques with Grandmaster Harold Long
- Isshinryu Hall of Fame Member, Inducted 1992
- Isshinryu Hall of Fame “Dojo of the Year” awarded in 1984 and 1996
- World Head of Family Sokeship Council International Hall of Fame, Inducted 1997 of Silver Lifetime Achievement Award
- World Karate Union Hall of Fame Member, Inducted 1997 as Karate Man of the Year
- World Head of Family Sokeship Council International Hall of Fame, Inducted 1998 as “Outstanding Contribution to Isshinryu Karate”
- World Head of Family Sokeship Council International, Made a Member of The Sokeship Council 1998
- Universal Martial Arts Hall of Fame Member, Inducted 1998 as Grandmaster of the Year – Weapons
- World Head of Family Sokeship Council International Hall of Fame, Inducted 1999 Grandmaster Instructor of the Year, Isshinryu Karate
- World Karate Union Hall of Fame Board of Directors 1999 elected and presented the Sword of Honor by a special presentation by Grandmaster Don Nagle in Memory and Honor of Grandmaster Harold G. Long
- Universal Martial Arts Hall of Fame Induction 1999 for Organization of the Year (United States Isshinryu Karate Association)
- World Head of Family Sokeship Council International Hall of Fame, Recognizes Internationally by Induction 2000 “Inheritor of the Shimabuku-Long® Lineage of Isshinryu Karate”.
- Australian Martial Arts Hall of Fame, Inducted 2000 Hall of Fame Member and added as a Sokeship Council Member
- World Karate Union Hall of Fame Inducted 2000 Most Distinguished Board of Director
- World Head of Family Sokeship Council International Hall of Fame, Inducted 2001 “Ambassador of Isshinryu Karate-Do”
- Action Martial Arts Magazine Hall Of Fame Inducted 2001 “Grandmaster of the Year, Isshinryu Karate-Do”
- International Police Tactics Instructors Association, Vice President and South Carolina State Director
- Past Chairman and Board Member of the Isshinryu Hall of Fame
- Past Vice President of the International Isshinryu Karate Association (I.I.K.A.) Resigned 1998
- Member of the United Isshinryu Council
- 2002 Appointment to the “Advisory Council of the Police Martial Arts Association International”
- 2002 Universal Martial Arts Hall of Fame. Induction as “Grandmaster of the year, International Police Tactics, (I.T.S.) ™ Instinctive Tactical Solutions ™. Isshinryu
- 2002 World Head Of Family Sokeship Council Hall Of Fame International, Induction as, “Pioneer of Isshinryu – Instinctive Tactical Solutions (I.T.S.) ™
- 2003 World Head Of Family Sokeship Council “Board of Advisors”
- 2003 International Martial Arts Hall Of Fame, “Board of Directors”
- 2003 Inducted into the International Martial Association Hall of Fame and recognized as the Inheritor of the Grandmaster Harold G. Long’s Lineage (Shimabuku-Long Isshinryu) by the I.M.A.A. President Grandmaster Gary Alexander and the I.M.A.A. Board of Directors
- 2003 World Karate Union Hall of Fame “Outstanding Board Member of the year Award”
- 2003 Induction into the Texas Martial Art Hall Of Fame
- 2004 The World Karate Union Hall of Fame’s “Most Distinguished Board Member”.
- 2004 “Leadership Award for Isshinryu Karate” by the World Head of Family Sokeship Council Hall of Fame.
- 2005 Elected and Ordained as an “Elder” in the First Presbyterian Church of Anderson South Carolina
- 2005 Appointment “Southeast Regional Director” (Alabama, Florida, Georiga, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Mississippi) for the United States Police Defensive Tactics Association
- 2005 Inducted as “International Grandmaster of the Year” by the World Head of Family Sokeship Council Hall of Fame.
References:WHFSC Grandmaster’s Council: a compendium of the world’s leading Grandmasters, Lulu.com, by Bram Frank, ISBN 978-1300575672 (2013)
Okinawa’s Comlete Karate System, Ymaa Publication Center, by Michael Rosenbaum, ISBN 978-1886969919 (2001), p.43
- “Isshinryu Today Presents Hanshi Phil Little’s USIKA with Forrest & Vena”, BlogTalk Radio, 1 May 2016
- “Karate school offers classes at the YMCA”, The Independent Mail, By Samantha Harris, 1 May 2008
- “Students from new karate school win big at world tournament”, The Dispatch.com, By Cherrice Wright, 17 Autust 2004
DocMagazine and DocRadio International BlogTalkRadio
- May 22, 2016: Isshinryu Today presents Kyoshi Vincent Colangelo, Sr. He serves as dai ichi to Vena Sensei and is Vice President of the …
- May 8, 2016 Tonight on the program we intend to review the empty hand and kobudo kata’s of Isshinryu Karate do.
- May 1, 2016: This new program is designed to cater to all working martial artists along with our Senior Instructors and pioneers.
- Apr 24, 2016: … board member of the USIKA, founded by Hanshi Phil Little inheritor of the Grand Master Harold Long lineage, will be talking about Isshinryu …
- Apr 17, 2016: …the first generation students of our founder Shimabuku “Tatsuo” Sensei. … supreme grand master dr moses powell
- Apr 10, 2016: … it is to honor the 60th year of Isshinryu, our Founder Shimabuku Tatsuo Sensei, Grand Master Harold Long, Hanshi Phil Little, the USIKA and …
- Mar 6, 2016: … His Sensei is Hanshi Phil Little who is the inheritor of Grand Master Harold Long’s Lineage. DocKarate is geared towards all working martial …